My thoughts on my Top Five Tiers for the 2018 Fantasy Football Running Backs. Targets, touches, potential gamescipts, health, schedules, is their team good or bad and of course the stats are just a few of the reasons behind these rankings.
“Fantasy Football success can often be attributed to analyzing the data and then applying a common sense approach. With the real life football actions on the field in mind. In short, What makes sense when understanding each team’s tendencies.”
Fantasy Football Running Back Rankings (Full PPR)
- Todd Gurley (Rams, Tier 1) – A true workhorse running on the ground and in the air. Gurley should put together back to back record breaking Fantasy seasons.
- Ezekiel Elliott (Cowboys) – Expecting the Cowboys to utilize him in the passing game, multiple 20+ carry games in the forecast and fresh legs entering the 2018 season are a few reasons why I’m high on him. Not to mention he averages over 100 rushing yards per game for his career. His per game stats are excellent entering year 3.
- David Johnson (Cardinals, Tier 2) – The Cardinals should feed him the ball and when gamescipts dictate garbage time receptions. Fantasy Friends will praise D.J. once again for coming through in the clutch. He may not produce the sexiest season in 2018. However, he will produce and give stability at the position.
- Le’Veon Bell (Steelers) – A week 1 return for the franchise tagged king may aid in Bell’s slow start. The Steelers may just run Bell into the ground and part ways come 2019. Bell needs to prove himself in order to get a big payday or will he retire as he said before?
- Alvin Kamara (Saints, Tier 3) – The potential for 2,000+ scrimmage yards in year 2 is exciting. We will know week 1, if Kamara becomes more involved and im willing to take the risk before hand.
- Leonard Fournette (Jaguars, Tier 4) – This guy could lead the AFC in rushing yards in just his second NFL season. Another workhorse back.
- Saquon Barkley (Giants) – Pat Shurmur in town. Sign me up for Saquon winning rookie of the year. With the exception of D.J., my top 7 running backs. All of them are in positions in which the team must utilize them if they are to make the playoffs, in hopes of winning the Superbowl.
- Kareem Hunt (Chiefs, Tier 5) – The Chiefs need to use him as Patrick Mahomes enters his first season as the starter.
- Jerick McKinnon (49ers) – The offense he is in will utilize his skill set. History tells us this.
- Christian Mccaffrey (Panthers) – The most common word we associate with Christian is a high floor. Sign me up as a sure fire pick in round 2 of fantasy drafts.
- Melvin Gordon (Chargers) – Another scrimmage yard monster in a potent offense. Potentially playing from ahead in gamescipts, redzone opportunities and an improved offensive line rounds out the Tier 5 good floor running backs.
(Teams Going Off + Thoughts Flexed In) = Combination Lineups
May the Fantasy Force Be With You.
Follow Moon Man on Twitter @FFPmoonman