Moon Man’s Fantasy Football Chronicles: Depth at the Tight End Position?
Moon Man ranks the Top 50 tight ends in May. Rookies fill the list, Gronkowski drops, Hunter Henry is a buzzing this off season and Austin Hooper surprises. Fantasy Football 2017 Rankings. Its almost June Fantasy Friends!
“Top 50 Tight Ends”
1. Travis Kelce (Chiefs). Consistent and is now the Top Tight End in Fantasy Football. Kelce has more upside than my #2 tight end in May! Where there were questions were answered last season.
2016 – 117 targets: 85 receptions 1,125 yards. 4 touchdowns.
2015 – 103 targets: 72 receptions 875 yards. 5 touchdowns.
2014 – 87 targets: 67 receptions 862 yards. 5 touchdowns.
2. Greg Olsen (Panthers). The last 5 seasons with Carolina have been productive years. Cam Newton will find Greg in the endzone more than 3 times in 2017. Moon Man thinks Olsen will find the endzone 9 times. Which would be the most in his career. Cam Newton with Christian Mccaffrey will adjust the offense on 3rd downs and in the redzone. The possibility of Mccaffrey becoming a 3 down back is Draft worthy. Not the physical beast like Jonathan Stewart. Moon Man expects Mccaffrey to grow in the NFL while still producing for fantasy owners in year 1.
2017 Fantasy Forecast: 118 targets: 71 receptions 865 yards. 9 touchdowns.
2016 – 129 targets: 80 receptions 1,073 yards. 3 touchdowns.
2015 – 124 targets: 77 receptions 1,104 yards. 7 touchdowns.
2014 – 123 targets: 84 receptions 1,008 yards. 6 touchdowns.
2013 – 109 targets: 73 receptions 816 yards. 6 touchdowns.
2012 – 104 targets: 69 receptions for 843 yards. 5 touchdowns.
2011 – 89 targets: 45 receptions 540 yards. 5 touchdowns.
2010 – 41 receptions for 404 yards. 5 touchdowns.
2009 – 60 receptions for 612 yards. 8 touchdowns.
2008 – 54 receptions for 574 yards. 5 touchdowns.
2007 – 39 receptions for 391 yards. 2 touchdowns.
3. Jordan Reed (Redskins). Injury liability. Otherwise moon man’s favorite fantasy football tight end. Reed played in 9 games his rookie season, 11 games in 2014, 14 games in his best fantasy season and 12 games last year. If Reed drops in drafts. It would be wise to select him in 2017 and back him up with a solid tight end in later rounds such as Tyler Higbee or Dennis Pitta.
4. Zach Ertz (Eagles). Stud. The Travis Kelce of the NFC under Doug Pederson. Top Three Fantasy Tight End Sleeper Alert! In 14 games Ertz numbers were 106 targets: 78 receptions 816 yards with 4 touchdowns. Carson Wentz in year 2 with Alshon Jeffery, Torrey Smith and Jordan Matthews spread wide. There is possibility in Philadelphia for 30+ points weekly. Zach Ertz will account for some big fantasy sundays in 2017.
5. Rob Gronkowski (Patriots). Injury liability and a change in New England. The New England Patriots are stacked offensively on paper. The only team other than maybe the Seahawks where paper is reality (Steelers but Big Ben’s injury risk)! Brandin Cooks alone will open up options for Tom Brady and Bill Belichick. If Josh McDaniels targets Gronk too much. The Patriots may lose him for the Playoffs. Slow and steady wins the race with the additions of Rex Burkhead and Dwayne Allen. Supporting in maintaining Gronk’s touch count to preserve his health for the duration of the season.
6. Jimmy Graham (Seahawks). A top target for Russell Wilson. Moon Man expects Graham to garner 100+ targets for the 1st time since leaving the Saints.
7. Hunter Henry (Chargers). Showed up in 2016 and will see more targets in 2017. Hunter is the man in Los Angeles with Antonio Gates #2.
8. Delanie Walker (Titans). The wiley vet keeps on producing in Fantasy. 100+ targets for each of the past three seasons will end in 2017. Eighty plus targets seem reasonable with Corey Davis selected with the 5th overall draft pick. Trading up in the 1st round to select a wide receiver when two other studs are available says something. Rishard Matthews will see around 108 targets again with upside and Tajae Sharpe in year 2 will garner an increase in targets. 40 burgers multiple times in 2017 for Marcus Mariota and the Tennessee Titans!
9. Tyler Eifert (Bengals). Injury risk. This touchdown machine needs to stay on the field to rise up the Fantasy Football Rankings. Moon Man is exercising caution with Eifert.
10. Kyle Rudolph (Vikings). The guy saw 132 targets in 2016. Whether its Sam Bradford or Teddy Bridgewater behind center. Kyle Rudolph is primed for another 80+ reception season in 2017. He looks the part nowadays and shows up on Sundays for Fantasy Friends.
11. Jack Doyle (Colts). With Andrew Luck healthy and Doyle showing up in the redzone last year. Its now MAY and Erik Swoope may fly on in scooping up targets. Moon Man is monitoring the situation in Indianapolis. Redzone opportunities and the weekly consistency that Doyle may offer with Luck in 2017 has him just outside the Top Ten.
12. Eric Ebron (Lions). Will or will not? Too many drops in the endzone. Last season E was targeted 85 times in 13 games with Matthew Stafford owning Fantasy Football in the beginning of the season. He is on the cusp and worth a mid round selection.
13. Coby Fleener (Saints). Never a burner or dominant tight end. Fleener saw 82 targets in his first season with Drew Brees. Moon Man is higher on him this yr than he was the last.
14. Austin Hooper (Falcons). Defenses doubling Julio Jones requires Hooper to catch the ball. Jacob Tamme is out and Hooper is the #1 in a potent offense. Its about upside here!
15. Jake Butt (Broncos). Should start and make an immediate impact in Denver.
16. Jason Witten (Cowboys). Moon Man projects 85 targets for Jay Witt as he strives for that Superbowl.
17. C.J. Fiedorowicz (Texans).
18. Tyler Higbee (Rams). May finish with 80+ targets in Jared Goff‘s second full NFL season.
19. Cameron Brate (Buccaneers).
20. Vance McDonald (49ers).
21. Evan Engram (Giants). Upside and potentially being the starter week 1 is exciting. New York hasn’t seen a tight end with this athleticism since Jeremy Shockey. NOT enough targets to go around with Eli Manning satisfying Odell Beckham Jr., Sterling Shepard and Brandon Marshall’s needs.
22. O.J. Howard (Buccaneers).
23. Martellus Bennett (Packers).
24. Jordan Leggett (Jets).
25. Antonio Gates (Chargers).
26. David Njoku (Browns).
27. Zach Miller (Bears).
28. Jared Cook (Raiders).
29. Charles Clay (Bills).
30. Dennis Pitta (Ravens).
31. Jesse James (Steelers).
32. Dwayne Allen (Patriots).
33. Jermaine Gresham (Cardinals).
34. Julius Thomas (Dolphins).
35. Mychal Rivera (Jaguars).
36. Gerald Everett (Rams).
37. Jeremy Sprinkle (Redskins).
38. Erik Swoope (Colts).
39. Vernon Davis (Redskins).
40. Will Tye (Giants).
41. Josh Hill (Saints).
42. Ladarius Green (Free Agent).
43. Ryan Griffin (Texans).
44. Marcedes Lewis (Jaguars).
45. Clive Walford (Raiders).
46. Crockett Gilmore (Ravens).
47. Gary Barnidge (Free Agent).
48. Jonnu Smith (Titans).
49. Luke Wilson (Seahawks).
50. Michael Roberts (Lions).
51. Nick O’Leary (Bills).
52. Virgil Green (Broncos).
53. Troy Niklas (Cardinals).
54. Adam Saheen (Bears).
55. Tyler Croft (Bengals).
56. Richard Rodgers (Packers).
57. Anthony Fasano (Dolphins).
58. David Johnson (Steelers).
59. Marqueis Gray (Dolphins).
60. A.J. Derby (Broncos).
61. Brent Celek (Eagles).
62. Lance Kendricks (Packers).
63. C.J. Uzomah (Bengals).
64. Garrett Celek (49ers).
65. Austin Sefarian-Jenkins (Jets).
66. Jace Amaro (Titans).
67. Dion Sims (Bears).
68. Jeff Heuerman (Broncos).
69. Eric Saubert (Falcons).
70. Bucky Hodges (Vikings).
71. Mason Shreck (Bengals).
72. George Kittle (49ers).
73. Ben Watson (Ravens).
74. Clay Harbor (Saints).
(Teams Going Off + Thoughts Flexed In) = Combination Lineups
May the Fantasy Force Be With You.
Follow Moon Man on Twitter @FFPmoonman
Check him out on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/FFPmoonman/
Check out Week 1 NFL Schedule including Quarterback Stacks:
Check out other position rankings:
Get to know the Author: